What do you do when no one's looking?
I've been thinking about that a lot. I've been really busy at work - the Dickinson staff has definitely been keeping me on my toes. I stuffed 500 envelopes today for those Dickinson freshies with a letter from the Dickinson Assistant Director, a hot pink card with their building name on it to put on their dashboard when they arrive, a calendar of events, and a Dickinson newsletter. So Matt Tuttle, when Mary gets her Whitney one in the mail, you can tell her I stuffed that envelope and folded the yellow newsletter!
As I was working by myself in the office while everyone was out to lunch, I was reminded of a few things:
- HOUSEKEEPING! Haha. Yeah, folding paper after paper and stuffing envelope after envelope reminded me of Work Crew and how we had to fold linen after linen. Although the work reminded me of the mundane/repetitive Work Crew, it also reminded me of the mindset I had there and the things I learned from that experience. Good times :] I got to pray for the people I was stuffing letters for, too.
- We are also shaped by the decisions we make when we're by ourselves and no one's looking. No one was in the office. I could've easily stopped stuffing, taken a break to go on my computer and chat (which I haven't been able to do for the past few days at all), and then pick back up where I left off right before anyone got back from lunch. I was tempted to. But I think the Holy Spirit reminded me at that point about valuing something like integrity and hard work. Do I do the work I do for people to notice, or do I do it to do my best for the God I serve? You may recall earlier that I said I didn't think I was a very hard worker and that my responsibilities mask my laziness and lack of motivation. I think even my slowly slipping academic grades are starting to reveal what I feel like I've been subconsciously hiding. But something like today helped remind me about hard work. It's my choice. It's up to me how hard I'm going to work, whether or not anyone notices.
Are we being true? Would your decision to do something or say something remain the same if no one was watching?
We'll be held responsible for our decisions/actions when "no one's" looking just as much as when all eyes are on us.
I was looking at some of my posts and I realize I didn't share with you guys about my epiphany about my academic/career direction.
I guess I'll save that for my 101st post :P
No comments:
Post a Comment