A few days ago, I decided that since I'm an English major, I should probably start writing like one. It can't hurt to put capital letters where they're supposed to go, right? I like writing with lower case letters, but if I'm ever going to apply myself in a publishing/writing career, I should start practicing like the big professionals and use capital letters. It's not a big deal.
I shall, however, keep the lowercased letters in my blog titles. Just for kicks.
On another note....
I've been thinking a lot about a few things lately: passion, celebrities, and our crazy fast-growing technology/internet/communication obsessions in the world. They're all kind of related to each other, too.
I've been thinking about passion and how much I lack it. There are a lot of things I like to do that seem to produce decent results: singing, writing, baking, photography...things like that. But I don't seem to have the passion to drive me to push these "talents" to another level. I feel like I have potential, but lack so much knowledge and experience that I wouldn't know how to pursue excellence. That, and I don't have the money. It seems like pursuing passion has a huge price tag attached to it.
Another question: should we pursue passion? Excellence? How do I know that's what God wants me to do? This is what happens when God gives me too many choices, too many paths. I want to make Him proud, and obey His call for me. But I don't know what He wants me to do. I know we should take one day at a time, but we need to have some sort of plan, too, right? Or do we?
So I was thinking about celebrities, and how so many people follow these people's lives to such detail and with such resolution and desire. We love having other people to criticize or praise, people who we think we identify with, people we can look up to, people we can look down on. They're lives we strive to have, or they're lives we can say, "Oh, I'm glad I have it better than them," to. Or we're just curious. We're curious as to what it looks like to have the life of fame, to have people follow you and know your name.
I was also thinking about how much work, craziness, and pressure celebrities have to go through every single day. It's a popularity contest of who's under the microscope, and if you're not under the microscope, you're dismissed from the popularity contest, unless you really make a unique and legendary name for yourself.
I wonder what God thinks of our pop culture.
There's a lot more to say, but I'll save it for another post. I've been thinking a lot about it. It ties in with our fast advancements in technology and communication, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment