"For me, productivity can no longer be measured solely by numbers of things - number of books written, number of new messages prepared and delivered, number of retreats led, number of people evangelized. Plenty of that is still happening, but that is no longer the way I mesaure success. Success for me now is measured by whether I am living within the rhythms of work and rest, solitude and community, silence and word necessary so the quality of my presence with God and with people and tasks is chracterized by love and attention, wisdom and discernment. Success is knowing that the jar of river water is still finding time to sit still so the waters of my soul are clear enough to discern, to the best of my ability, what this moment calls for, and the next, and the next, and the next.
I have watched my life carefully enough to have a pretty good sense of how much time I need to spend in solitude and silence daily, weekly and monthly in order to stay grounded in God and for His love and wisdom to flow more consistently through my life. It has taken a number of years of exploring and experimenting for me to know what's needed to be truly well at the soul level, but I am now as clear about that as I am about knowing that I need to eat three meals a day.
These rhythms have become nonnegotiables in my life, but I don't hold to them legalistcally. When they slip, I don't indulge in a guilt binge, I don't look to external motivators to find my way back, and I don't push harder on things that aren't working. Instead I just notice: Where has my desire gone? What have I gotten caught up in that has caused me to be out of touch with my desire and capacity to give God my undivided attention in solitude?"
--Invitation to Solitude and Silence, by Ruth Haley Barton
This book was so good, I'm going to read it again. I'll take notes this time.
--Invitation to Solitude and Silence, by Ruth Haley Barton
This book was so good, I'm going to read it again. I'll take notes this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment