No, I'm not talking about the tv show.
I'm talking about the actual office I work in during this summer. I've been realizing over the past couple of weeks that the office can be infested with gossip.
I have a list in my blue book called, "Things to Research/Learn More About," and under "mentorship" and "fasting" is, "gossip." Not that it's in a particular order. But gossip is one of those topics I'm never really quite sure about.
I was telling Karen this, and she asked me what Carrie's definition of it was when we talked about it during Work Crew. But I don't remember. Let's do some googling.
Dictionary.com says gossip is...idle talk or rumor, esp. about the personal or private affairs of others.
I could see some of the talk in the office, if not most of it, being gossippy. It's actually how I find out about a lot of things that they don't directly tell me. I'm often tempted to tell Michelle about any of it, but thankfully the Spirit helps me resist.
The main problem isn't identifying what is gossip and what isn't gossip - the problem is that I'm in the office and can't remove myself so that I don't listen to it. I'm very quiet in the office and I don't talk much (because I'm a horrible conversationalist or shy or Asian, however you want to put it) unless someone talks to me, so when the other secretaries or staff are making conversation, it's extra hard for me to resist listening because I'm right there.
Is that all I should do? Just do my best to concentrate on my work (which doesn't require much thinking, so that doesn't help) and ignore their talk?
I've thought about saying something. But since I'm not directly involved in their conversations I don't really know what I would say in a situation like that. Plus, I'd feel out of place to pipe up.
Or am I wrong? Am I just being my avoid-conflict-at-all-costs self?
On a side note, would you look at that - my posts are becoming more brief but still sufficient. Go me.
1 comment:
hmm..that is quite the dilemma. i see a couple of options with it.
1. ignore it...put on some ear phones if you're allowed?
2. get involved with the convo...but figure out ways to steer it towards the gospel
its quite hard to "avoid" gossip...its literally everywhere...its what we do with the gossip that ultimately leads to its result. kudos to you for resisting in telling others on the things you hear =]
Post a Comment