Monday, July 27, 2009

let's step it up.

It's depressing talking to my Dad on the phone.

I used to like it because we'd get a chance to talk about different things I guess, and I know he makes some sort of effort. But we'd always eventually get around to him talking about something that was happening or happened at home, and then he'd say how he misses me. And he says it the way a little kid would say it to his dad that's always away for business meetings. It breaks your heart. He even said last week that he would make ribs just for me, for an incentive for me to come home. It saddened me that he thought he needed to bribe me to come home.

I think I have to stay home next summer.
And possibly winter. Except for Urbana.

So I haven't posted in a while because I'm trying to post when I've collected my thoughts (or want to share my mess of thoughts) of things I've been learning. I don't want this blog to be just "Oh, I did this today," or "Here's something fun and exciting." That, and because I've been busy.

Busyness + Not-really-sure-what-to-write = No blog post.

Anyway, so I guess I was reminded a few times these past couple of weeks of how we're totally and completely responsible for all of our actions. And if we're leaders, we are held accountable to the great God Almighty even more. And I don't mean just having the label of "leader." If you're an older sibling, you're a leader. If you have people who look up to you, you're a leader. If you gather people together, you're a leader. If people are influenced by you, you're a leader. And so forth.

But just think about it: when we stand before the Great Judge, do we want to make excuses or stand there speechless? Can we say to Him that we've done our best with the things He's given us responsibility over?

How about this summer? He's given us this summer to take care of the time wisely and give back to Him. Have we done that? I know I could do a lot better.
We can't get back the time or the opportunities to obey Him that we've lost. But hey, it's up to us whether or not we want to stay on that path.

Remember,

"Mere information makes no one righteous; it only makes us responsible for what we know."
"It is of no use to say we believe something when our actions betray our belief."

Yes, quotes from Becky Pippert's "Out of the Saltshaker." It's scary reading that book because there's so much knowledge I'll be held responsible for. God is calling me to obey. And He's calling you to do the same.

Time to step it up, people! Don't let summer waste away!

No comments: