I am so grateful to God for the gift of sabbath. Especially in the midst of having this rain cloud hang over my head, taking sabbath is like running into a shelter for a moment of protection from the downpour. It is by God's grace and mercy that I can rest despite the unrest I've often felt recently in my vocational world, my familial world, and my future.
It's also twice as wonderful to take sabbath with my new husband - three times as wonderful when you find a beautiful way of taking sabbath together for two very different people. Nathan came up with the brilliant idea of making a list of all the local coffee places and deciding to visit a different one during each sabbath. It works really well for us. Nathan gets to go explore a new area of town and gain a mini sense of adventure; I get the stability and consistency of visiting a coffee place (there's coffee and there's food). Since Nathan is a high extrovert, he gets to be around the hustle and bustle of people coming in and out, having intriguing conversations or just being there; since I'm a pretty high introvert, although there are people everywhere, I thankfully don't have to talk or interact with them - I can just be in my own world of reading or writing or talking (when I feel like it) with my husband. There's no rush to go somewhere or meet anyone, and we have the freedom to change plans on the spot. And on top of it all, we get to learn a little bit more about our new neighborhood, enjoy some delightful treats, and spend quality time in each other's presence. Even more so, since we tend to travel a lot, we can take our sabbath practices with us on the road...there's usually a coffee place of some kind in every town!
Have I mentioned how much I enjoy taking sabbath with my husband yet?
No comments:
Post a Comment