Sunday, June 27, 2010

Love Languages

I had a very interesting attitude yesterday afternoon. I planned on staying home to catch up on some E-board work because I didn't have any other plans, but Friday night I found out that a bunch of my friends that I thought had already gone to some of the locations of the Key to the City project were actually going on Saturday. So I thought since I hadn't hung out with any of my friends in a while, it would be a nice way to spend a Saturday.

I arrived at the Metropolitan Museum of Art about 30 minutes late, and couldn't get in contact with anyone I was expecting to meet up with. But apparently it didn't matter because I wasn't the last one there. And even though we went to the Met and the Whitney Museum, we didn't actually go inside either museum. We pretty much spent a lot of time asking, "What are we doing now?", waiting for some friends whom I ended up not seeing at all, and walking around in the humid 80-something degree whether looking for a Dunkin' Donuts that did not exist.

Now, normally, if you know me well, you'd know I'd probably be giving some attitude because the conditions were just right for the occasion: unfulfilled expectations, idle time-wasting, extreme tardiness, high activity in humid weather, etc. But strangely enough, I was perfectly fine. I shocked myself. I'd actually say it was a really good day. I got to see some of my friends, had really good talks, and got to meet new people. All of the other stuff strangely didn't matter as much at all.

The concept of love languages came up in one of my conversations. I first heard about the idea from Dan Lee in high school, when we went out to get ice cream one day. I don't remember what we were talking about, but he started telling me about this whole idea that we all express, give, and accept love in very different ways. And often times it's a misunderstanding of those love languages that someone feels like they're not loved when they really are.

My dad actually read the book that it's based on, called "The 5 Love Languages," by Gary Chapman. He likes the book and since the original book is really geared toward married/couple audiences, he told me there was one for singles, too. So he got it for me, and I can't wait to read it. It's next on my list of books to read.

By the way, I'm currently reading Donald Miller's second book, "Through Painted Deserts," and I'm having a hard time getting through it. Mindy described Miller's writing style well: "He's a little scatter-brained."

1 comment:

hobbes said...

woohoo i made it into your blog!