Saturday, October 6, 2012

Reincarnation of the Happy Book.

So yes, as you could've guessed from my previous post, I am resurrecting the Happy Book.  Except, it's not going to function in quite the same way as it did before.  Here's how it's going to work.  I'm not going to write Happy Book entries into a physical notebook.  They are going to be posts on this blog with multiple happy things listed in each post.  They'll probably all be titled, "Happy Book Post of the Day" or something.  I won't make a minimum or maximum as to how many happy things I can list so I don't limit myself.  Each post will be as many happy things as I can think of or feel like writing at that moment.  I will also start with entry #1 even though my last entry in the physical Happy Books ended at 9,196 because this is an entirely different medium which denotes a slightly different approach and accessibility than its predecessor. 

There are several reasons why I want to do this and why I want to do it in this particular way:
  1. I think it'll be good for my soul.  Especially for this particular season in my life, I need to get back into the habit of focusing on the blessings God has given me.  I'm also just such a different person than I was back in high school and the beginning of college, so it'll be interesting to see how I've changed.
  2. I think it could be of encouragement for others.  This, of course, may not be true.
  3. In the case that it would not be encouraging for others, I think it would just be interesting to read.  
  4. It'll be a good exercise to help me post more frequently, since I have a lot of posting "down time" - the long periods of time between what ends up becoming my lengthier life posts.  The Happy Book posts won't be as tedious to read through.  I think they'll be a nice break from my other life posts.
  5. After perusing YouTube videos and other random people's blogs, I've always wanted to try a categorical kind of approach to mix it up and I think this is one that fits who I am.
You may realize, since you might have contributed to the old Happy Books before or just read the story I wrote about how it came into existence, that there's a very important piece missing from this format that the books had:  participation from others.  That, however, will solely be up to you.  Now, I don't know who still reads this blog as I really have no way of telling, but I will warmly welcome anyone who would like to contribute to my Happy Book posts.

Here's how you can contribute to the Happy Book posts:
  1. At the end of each Happy Book post, I'll ask you, the reader, what makes you happy.  That will be my invitation and reminder to you that you are more than welcome to share the things that make you happy.
  2. Feel free to leave a comment or email me anytime with the things that make you happy that you want me to add in the next Happy Book post.  
  3. If you want to be anonymous, indicate as such.  Otherwise, I will put some combination of initials and names, but not full names (i.e., John D., J. Doe, or J.D., NOT John Doe).
  4. Then, the next time I write a Happy Book post, I'll add everyone else's, too.
That's it!  Here's to the start of a new Happy Book era.

No comments: