Monday, July 9, 2012

Lone shopper.

Shopping is not a recreational sport for me.  When I have nothing to do on a Saturday (those unusual kind of Saturdays), a light bulb doesn't go off in my head that say, "Hey, you should go shopping!  It'll be fun!"  I don't go to stores for the sole purpose of hunting for sales or obtaining the latest trend.  Spending hours in a mall more often than not kills my feet and makes me feel like it was totally not worth it if I walk out of the mall empty-handed.

However, hear me out.  I'm not a shopping hater.  I don't dread the act of shopping like other people do.  I don't (not always, at least) drag my feet around from store to store.  I do enjoy finding a good deal on things I'm actually looking for, spending time with people I love, and trying things on.  Especially skirts and dresses.  I love cute dresses.  But I do have an set of circumstances that provide the ideal environment in which I really enjoy shopping.  

I like to shop by myself.

Yes, as a self-proclaimed introvert, I am proud that I enjoy shopping by myself.  And I see nothing odd or wrong with it.  In fact, I don't think this syndrome is limited to introverts.  My sister Pam is an extrovert and she enjoys shopping by herself.  I actually reinforce it for her because I prefer being very happy for her when she comes home and shows me the wonderful things she got rather than go through the trouble of joining her in the process of finding them.

For me, there are a number of reasons why I enjoy shopping alone.  Briefly (and selfishly, I guess), I get to go where I want, when I want, and get what I want.  When I shop by myself I don't have to waste time going to stores I don't really want to go to, and in the stores I want to explore, I can take as much or as little time as I want.  When I shop by myself I can take the time to decide whether or not I really want something without feeling pressured to make a decision quickly so I wouldn't waste someone else's time.  Also, shopping by myself gives me the space to look at or try on something that's not typically "my style" without being concerned with the opinions of others.

Essentially, I like shopping when I have a clear idea of what I'm looking for and when I've got some time to browse around with no particular time constraints or things to get ready for.  It's relaxing and enjoyable.  You should try it if you haven't before and see if you like it.  It's not for everyone, but I'll think you're pretty cool if you do!

No comments: