Lists often function as flotation devices for me. They help me function in an ocean of thoughts or help me get out of brain traffic jams.
During my conference last week I felt like I was held in suspension above a large chasm, having left one side but not really moving towards the other side yet until the conference was over. But now that I'm back, I feel like I'm just pulling through the mud of this heat in a wandering spirit, being pulled from one thought or task to another, not really getting anything done or when I do, not really feeling accomplished.
So I think the solution to this mind packed with little details here, tiny things to consider here, things to get done but those things not coming to the forefront of my mind is: to make lists.
They are concrete and allow me to tie all of my thoughts and tasks to something that won't float away from any small distractions. And then I can refer back to my lists instead of trusting my unreliable brain to remember what I need to do or think about. And THEN, when I actually complete something, I can cross it off and I don't have to think about it anymore!
I can also use that space (particularly when I have long lists and type them in an outline form on my computer) to brainstorm ideas, questions, and thoughts freely without feeling like I'm signing my life away to a decision or losing something that could potentially grow into something better.
So far, my outline for this summer is two pages long. And those are only my initial thoughts.
Lists are wonderful. Gosh, no wonder why I'm 89% "Judging" on the Myers-Briggs test. In dealing with the outside world, I prefer to have things decided and set. I definitely enjoy creating structures and order!
No comments:
Post a Comment