My heart broke for Janie. Tonight, my heart breaks for her family.
Janie was just 2 years old when she went to be with the Lord forever this afternoon. And for a little more than half of her young life, she had been fighting Rhabdomyo Sarcoma, a rare and very serious cancer.
I never met Janie. Nevertheless, this felt like it hit close to home. Janie's parents went to my home church in NYC, and her dad was one of my favorite Sunday School teachers. I never moved back to NYC after graduating college, and the Gong family had moved to Shanghai to follow God's call. So we were too far apart and didn't go to NYC often enough to have crossed paths after Janie was born.
But through the sometimes helpful world of Facebook, I "met" Janie. Her dad, Alan, and I are Facebook friends, so I got to see pictures of her when she was born and as she started growing up. She got the Cutest-Baby-of-the-Year Award in my book. I mean, how could you NOT think this was the cutest baby of the year?
I wish it had been under different circumstances, but I started to get to know Janie (and her family) better after I found out about the cancer and her dad started posting on Caring Bridge, a website that helps keeps friends and family updated about situations like this. He'd share some of his own personal thoughts and struggles as he wrestled with his first child having to fight cancer in her first few years of existence. He'd share updates about Janie's condition. And he'd share about Janie's normal growing experiences - the personality she was developing, things she would say as she learned to talk, etc. And every now and then he'd post a little video clip or two of Janie, to see a glimpse of who she is for yourself.
I always looked forward to those video clips. People described her as a little girl who melted people's hearts when she entered the room, and just from watching the short video clips and seeing pictures, I totally agree. She brought joy to your life and a smile to your face.
I can't imagine what Alan and Daisy are feeling or going through right now with the loss of their child. It feels like it digs much deeper than if I was not yet married at this point in my life. There have been many times where I have imagined me and Nathan having our first child, and it hurts and frightens me to think about the possibility of going through a similar situation.
That being said, I was greatly moved by how open and honest Alan was about his thoughts and feelings every time he updated about Janie. In just a few sentences I'd admire his courage and brevity in sharing such personal and poignant things. It was encouraging for me to continue to be vulnerable with others, even in the darkest moments of our lives or on the rockiest paths of our walk with Christ.
May God continue to make Himself known and present in Alan and Daisy's lives as they grieve. May He grant them and their families deep peace and renewed hope. May He be glorified and others be encouraged by their stories and testimonies of Janie's time with us on earth. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment