I got home and planned on taking an hour-long nap, which is extremely absurd if you know me, a dedicated 20-minute-power-napper, but considering I had only gotten an approximate 25 total hours of sleep this week, I figured it would be necessary.
I almost felt like Rip Van Winkle waking up 2 1/2 hours later. That's a record for me.
Anyway, I traveled home on the subway and bus with KTai and Kenzie from the end of our adventure participating in New York City Urban Project's (NYCUP) Spring Break Plunge today. We were talking a bit about different things - some about our experience, some about our thoughts, and some about random stuff - but as I was talking to them there was one thing I realized I needed to process.
I wondered about some of the ways I would need to bring back what I've learned from the Bowery Mission family. I told KTai and Kenzie I knew it would be harder to bring to campus because although some may disagree, I now believe it's usually harder to connect to college students than it is to connect to those who are homeless. I call the Bowery Mission family because they treat us like we're family. I've only interacted and engaged with some of them for just one or two meals, and yet they were so open to telling me about their stories and their history - even though they've gone through so much pain and hardships. With college students, we're so quick to put up fronts, pretend we're okay when we're not, or hide our vulnerability behind intelligence, achievements, excuses, and strength...whatever you can think of.
It's harder to reach through to someone who's unwilling to share their real stories because they don't believe they have anything worth sharing. It's different for people who are willing to share their real stories when they feel like they've got nothing left to lose.
Everyone has something valuable to offer. Being a part of the Bowery Mission family this week affirmed that truth for me.
Hopefully, more to come as I try to unpack the things God has been speaking to me during this week. For now, I gotta catch some more Z's.
1 comment:
congratulations on your nap!!
Post a Comment