Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dear Anne of Green Gables,

Even though sometimes I laugh at your melancholy, overdramatic moments, I totally understand you.

Like those times you did something stupid like accidentally dye your hair green, or smashed a slate over Gilbert Blythe's head, or accidentally made Diana Barry drunk and you fell into the "depths of despair" - I was right there with you. Maybe I haven't had the audacity to walk the top of a ridgepole or talk back to older people to put them in their place like you do, but you definitely externally express what I often feel inside.

And those interactions you have with Marilla, after you've done something foolish and Marilla says "fiddlesticks" and tells you how everything is "nonsense" and that the practical and sensible things are better...that's pretty much what goes on in my head all the time - the clash between my "oh my gosh I'll never get over this" side and my "oh please, get over yourself" side.

And I get how you feel when you don't want people or things to change as you get older, and how it feels like you don't quite understand why or how people's ideals change.

But I admire the way you're able to speak your mind and stubbornly stick to your beliefs while simultaneously being able to imagine how people feel in order to understand where they're coming from. You can win over even the toughest people without compromising your values. I tend to keep my own opinions hidden so well for the sake of preventing conflict or making people happy that I often can't seem to find them anymore.
It's interesting to see how I identify with different stages of your life than when I was younger and first watched you grow up. I've seen how my own ideals have change.
You give me hope in a lot of ways, Anne with an 'e' - possibly in more ways than anyone may ever know or understand.
Love,
Tammy Chan
A big fan since the 4th grade

No comments: