Oh yeah, Nathan and I are moving in to a new house in a few weeks. I keep forgetting about that.
People have been saying congratulations and asking if I was nervous, but honestly, I've only really been thinking about it when Nathan or someone else brings it up in conversation. Nathan's been taking care of pretty much most of the details (shocking to most, but not really in my opinion), so I guess that's part of the reason why.
I wonder if part of why it hasn't sunk in is because you can get a house for pretty cheap in Rochester, so it's not as big of a dent in your wallet as it would be getting a house somewhere in NYC. Buying a house in NYC, my dear readers, would be a big deal to me. Now that would be a big commitment and very permanent in my opinion. And it would definitely whack a whopping dent in my wallet.
I'm not really looking forward to the actually packing and moving part. And I'm not too keen on the upkeep side of being a homeowner (with our apartment it's so easy - you just call when there's a problem and then someone comes and fixes it for you for no additional cost!).
I am, however, excited about the possibilities of DIY projects that owning a house can bring. While it's not like I was in prison and couldn't do any DIY projects in our apartment, not being able to paint the walls or hammer in nails were apparently enough limitations for me to feel like my entire DIY craft freedom was taken away. That's probably how I subconsciously rationalized my lack of home projects. I have hope that actually owning a house will help inspire me and kick me into a let's-make-something-creative-and-useful-and-pretty kind of mode.
The other thing is, we'll be moving in with other people (though it keeps changing and is not entirely set yet). I was hesitant at first about this whole intentional living community thing, but less so now that Nathan and I have at least a year of marriage and living together on our own under our belt. But as to how I'll feel about that emotionally as it becomes a reality is hard to say right now.
As many of my faithful readers probably remember, I do not think I am a person who naturally likes to be on the move. If things were up to me, I'd probably pick a spot and stay there for the rest of my life. I think of myself as someone who likes to set her roots and keep those roots growing. But with feeling disconnected from my NYC home and with college and post-college life keeping me on the move, I've often wondered if this is how Abraham felt when God called him to pack up and go. And keep going. And keep moving.
But strangely, as I think about moving from the apartment to the new house, I don't feel anxious or reluctant or like a turtle being pulled out from her shell. I don't know if that's because the whole new house thing hasn't sunk in yet, or because I'm starting to get used to this state of constant moving. Who knows? Maybe I'm just...ready.
I guess we'll find out in a future blog post.
No comments:
Post a Comment