I was recently tagged on Facebook in my 4th grade class photo. Thankfully, it's one of class pictures I actually like and ironically, I was tagged in it by the girl I used to have a sort of rivalry with. I'm not really sure how it started, but I remember she used to say mean things to me and I would sometimes cry because I knew it wasn't right to say anything mean back, so I got really frustrated. She was pretty smart, too, so I'd sort of compete with her to get the right answers or high grades or sort of be the favorite. And then in the fifth grade we were in different classes and stopped talking until we got our autograph books at the end of the year and signed each other's saying genuinely nice things to each and apologizing. She lives in Florida and recently got engaged. Craziness!
Without cheating, can you spot me?
|
I also liked that I was tagged in my fourth grade class picture because Mrs. Hamilton was possibly my favorite teacher of all time. She's a teacher I think about every once in a while, wondering what she'd say to me or how awesome our relationship would be if she was still alive. I was telling my mom I was tagged in the picture and told her I miss Mrs. Hamilton and think that if she was still alive she'd definitely be a teacher I'd stay in touch with and grow to become really good friends with.
She was one of those really tough teachers that pushed you hard because they really believed you could do more than you think you could but was wise and gentle and you knew that she loved you. I remember I was a little scared when I found out I was in her class because I heard rumors that she wore a wig and gave the most work and was the hardest of all the 4th grade teachers. And it was true - even though we were only in the fourth grade she gave us 20 pages of math homework almost every day, made us take notes (like lectures in college) while she told us about history, made us memorize poems every week and tested us, even making us recite them on bus rides during class field trips. I still remember bits of some of them.
She was a really great teacher. I could go on and on about her.
I remember sitting in science class in the 6th grade the day after my mom told me Mrs. Hamilton had died from cancer. It was the first time I had ever really been in a foggy daze. I chose not to pay attention to what was being taught. I didn't take any notes. I just thought about Mrs. Hamilton.
I was thinking about her recently not only because of the photo but because as I've begun fundraising for InterVarsity, she came to mind as someone I know who'd support me in some way, shape, or form. I wish I could give her a call to talk to her and tell her all of the exciting things that are going on in my life.
I miss her.

No comments:
Post a Comment