Monday, July 5, 2010

Reminisce

Since we had so many new people at CCF on Friday, Pam had us introduce ourselves and share our favorite elementary school memory. It was terrible - I loved elementary school so much that it was so hard choosing just one of my favorite memories. It seems as though all my memories were good, even the times I cried because I was so sensitive.

I think I might randomly blog about my elementary school memories. They were good times and memories I'd like to record/remember and possibly read about later on. Plus, it might help me practice writing some stories :P

It was just me and parents eating dinner together one night last week. I don't know how we got onto this topic, but we ended up talking about what it was like raising me as a Pastor's kid (PK). I told them they did a really good job because I never really identified myself as a Pastor's kid - I never felt any pressure to do well in school, or to act differently than who I was. In fact, it made me feel special - at PaLM events especially because everyone who walked in the door would already know who I am without me having to tell them. It was like I was famous.

That's why one time Uncle Cliff (someone from my church) said that I was like royalty in the Chinese-American Christian realm. Haha.

Well, if I was Princess of the Chinese-American Christian realm, then I was Princess among the adults of my elementary school, P.S. 162, because my mom was like a queen. She was on the PTA since the year Sam had entered kindergarten, and stayed so involved in our school that she stayed on the PTA as a volunteer for at least another....2 or 3 years (?) after I (the youngest) had already graduated!

I loved that all the teachers knew who I was because of my mom's involvement or because they had my sisters as their students. It definitely made me feel special. I even knew the principal because of my mom.

I guess some might consider me a biter (am I using that term correctly?). Yes, it does make me feel special when people know me because of connections to my dad, my mom, or even my sister Pam. I'm proud to be associated with them. I never feel like I'm in their shadow, and I never try to use their reputation to build my own. To me it saves me the agony of hacking away at small talk when it comes to new people, desparately trying to tread the deep waters of keeping our conversation alive by searching for common ground.

As you can probably tell, I'm not one who particularly enjoys networking with strangers.

Man, just thinking about elementary school makes me smile. I can't wait to share more stories.

No comments: