Saturday, September 5, 2009

once upon a time...

August 29th, 2009

"I am a dreamer, take me higher. Open the sky up, start a fire..."

I reflexively groped around for my cell phone, which was somewhere under my pillow, making my bed vibrate and singing Bethany Dillon's "Dreamer" song. I opened my eyes as best as I could before pressing what I assumed was the send button.

"Hello?"

"Tamawia?"

Ah. I knew who it was. She was the only one who pronounced my full name, Tamaria, that way. I grinned as much as a half asleep girl would at just being woken up at 9:20 AM on a Saturday morning and rolled my eyes. "Yes, Winnie? What's up?"

"Can you come to Ufest at 10?"

I couldn't help but sigh a little bit. Our University Fest was hosted by our school, Binghamton University, every year to invite the local community, as well as all the student groups to table, play games, and eat food with all the students, faculty and staff. It was raining outside, and I was kind of half hoping Katy McFadden, our Outreach Coordinator, would cancel because of the rain.

I posed this suggestion to Winnie.

"No, Katy said we're definitely still having it. She's not here. She's getting flyers printed at Kinkos. Can you come?"

And so...it begins.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: