Monday, April 19, 2010

Catching Clouds

I'm itching so bad to write a new song.
I'm terrible at coming up with good melodies on the guitar because I don't know that many chords and don't really practice enough to stretch the skill. But I love trying to come up with lyrics. I guess it makes sense for my personality and skills.

I'm performing for the Singer/Songwriter Tent at Spring Fling on May 1st, and I realize that I haven't really written a new song since I last performed there last year. So sad. And really, I haven't written a song I particularly really like to perform except "Girl." And I already played that one last year. So now I don't know what to play.

There a few ideas swimming around in my mind, but it's like jumping up and catching clouds in a jar - not really that easy at all. When I think I caught something, I close the jar only to find that the cloud melted into droplets of condensation streaking down the sides of the jar. And the clouds keep moving in the sky even though it doesn't seem like it. I guess I gotta stand still, point at the sky and say, "Ooh, that one looks like a..." And then write it down. See what happens.

2 comments:

Sunroot said...

write a song about pickles. also im in the science2 pods while youre in class. sorry i was late and had some stuff to do. hopefully ill catch you on the way out

thomas said...

i like the ideas